My Anna Costume Is Finished!

I’m a bad, bad blogger. I said I’d have my finished costume up here days ago and I didn’t do it. I did finish it, but I simply forgot to post. There’s been a lot going on here and quite frankly if I have to prioritize, blogging comes last. It’s not that I dislike blogging, it’s just that I like eating and wearing clean clothes more. I know these posts have been getting a lot of traffic. So I apologize to those of you who have been waiting for this.

Now, without further ado. My completed costume.

IMG_9090

Yes, I know what you’re all thinking. The dim lighting and iPhone quality photo really make this shine. I’m sorry, I took the photo at 6:30am and it was still quite dark out. I had just finished making it and putting it back on the form. I was so tired I didn’t even bother to iron it or even try it on (shock, gasp, horror!). I just hopped into the shower then climbed into bed. My saving grace is having a son that sleeps till at least noon everyday. Otherwise I’d have been face first in my cereal bowl that morning.

The skirt fabric you see here is the new fabric Spoonflower sent me. Though you probably can’t tell from these photos, it’s significantly better than the previous yardage. I really need to do a proper review with photos once I have the time. I sent the company a very long email letting them know that while I was happy with this new fabric (the combed cotton incase you were wondering) this shouldn’t have even been an issue. I’ll go into more detail when I write my review but it was basically “you need better customer service and to change your printing process based on fabric type”. Basic stuff really, I have no clue how they got so big without figuring out this stuff…

But back to the skirt. I did the four big box pleats. I bought three yards and after I washed and dried this (and it shrank a scary amount) I have exactly the right amount to do four perfect 8″ pleats with a smidge leftover for the zipper and seam. I really couldn’t be happier. It is a bit loose so it fits better further down by my hips, but that’s fine by me. There’s no stretch to the waistband so I’d rather it be a bit loose. After all, I plan to stuff my face full of candy until I feel sick. I’m gonna need that extra room. 🙂

IMG_9028IMG_9029

These are just a couple photos of the unfinished skirt. I know, you’re all just riveted. Sorry there aren’t more. It wasn’t until I got to this stage that I realized, I should probably take a few photographs. There were supposed to be more, but alas I found myself so engrossed in my task I forgot. I made the skirt all in one night. I think if I spaced it out a bit more there would have been more photos. But I just wanted it done.

I didn’t use a pattern, just sort of winged it as I do with most of my projects. I decided it would be better to sew the lining directly in, though I had considered doing it separately and making a crinoline. I took a strip of the leftover fabric, folded it in half and serged it to the top. I added in an invisible zipper (still hate doing them, even if they’re my special skill) and all the edges are serged so I don’t ever have to think about this again.

If anyone decided to buy this same border print fabric I really recommend this particular skirt style. I still have three yards worth of fullness and swing at the bottom (helped along by my horsehair braid) but there isn’t much bulk at the waist. It’s also (from what I could see) fairly screen accurate. The only other way to do a skirt with this fabric would be to have a gathered/elastic waistband. But depending on how many flowers you wish to see on the bottom, you could get stuck with a very bulky and uncomfortable waistband. So I’m glad I did it this way. The big box pleats really work to let the pattern on the bottom show and it’s very comfortable.

I’ll probably do another post on this costume with better photos at some point. I don’t know when, but it’s my goal. I worked fairly hard on this and I’d like to be able to at least share a decent photo.

As I mentioned before, my next project is a Kristoff costume for my husband. I plan to start on it tomorrow. By which I mean I plan to finish the edges of my fabric and toss it in the wash, lol. No, but seriously, I’ll probably also start making my pattern too. My husband has some ugly oversized t shirts that he loves for some odd reason. I’m going to use one as a template. It should be fairly straight forward. I’m not sure how much time I’m going to spend agonizing on all the little details for this costume. It’ll probably just be a quick job without many frills. My husband truly doesn’t care. And I want him to have a nice costume, but he won’t be freaking out if it’s not screen accurate (nor will he notice) so I’m not going to give myself grey hair over it. I did buy fur trim for the edges, and some different bias tapes to make the sash (plus some for the neckline). So it won’t be completely without some pizzaz. My only real concern is the collar. I don’t have a pattern, and I’m worried about my ability to build one that will lay the way I want it to. I guess I’ll just be crossing my fingers hoping what I’m brainstorming works!

Advertisements

One thought on “My Anna Costume Is Finished!

  1. Pingback: My Spoonflower Review | the koolchicken

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s